Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Book Review: Love Finds You in Sunset Beach, Hawaii


I honestly do not know what I signed up for or where I might have signed up for it, but every once in awhile, I receive a surprise in my mailbox.  And this surprise is always the latest gem from my girl Robin Jones Gunn.  I have my other usual places where I go to get book review books, but her books don't usually come from those publishers.  They simply appear in a plain brown book box, and I love it.  I feel so honored to get her books, and I hope they don't stop coming.

Robin's latest book, Love Finds You in Sunset Beach, Hawaii is like catching up with an old friend.  It's been four years (in the fiction world) since we last heard from Sierra Jensen.  She had left Rancho Corona University for their study abroad program in Brazil.  Four years later she is still there, and she finds herself at a crossroads.  A Brazilian friend invites her on a vacation to Sunset Beach, Hawaii, and Sierra gladly accepts, eager for the time to relax and and to reflect on what is next for her life.  She was not planning on getting caught up in her friend's wild party ways or in the major surfing competition that is going on during her stay, but running into Jordan Bryce changed all that.  Jordan is an up-and-coming surfing photographer who is focused on the surfers, but he finds himself distracted by his new vacation neighbor Sierra.

This book is absolutely, 100%, grade-A chick lit.  And I love it.  Robin's true talent lies in creating characters that you forget are fictional (much to my college pal Becky's chagrin) and it was so fun to find Sierra as an adult.  And if you've never read her young adult series about Sierra, that's okay too.  Robin also knows how to welcome you in without making you feel like an outsider.

Lovers of chick-lit unite...and read this book.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Summerside Press.  The opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Moment of truth: I'm the one sending you those books. Yeah, I know. I'm pretty fabulous. (Just kidding- about the books, not about being fabulous.) As an aspiring novelist of a whole 24 hours, I can appreciate in a new way the fact that your girl, Robin, can make believable characters. I'm having a hard time writing characters who can even sustain a conversation, much less actually be believable. Maybe one of these days I'll give 'ol Robin a try. And as long as I'm writing the longest comment in history, I'd like to add that you do a great job summarizing the plot of a book in a paragraph or two. Enjoy your blog and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower! I'm a big reader and I'm loving your blog!

    Come check me out at:
    http://carmen-mommytalk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete